What's On Your Table Continues tonight with an Imperial Knight through the many stages of building and painting.


I’ve been working on an Imperial Knight since the day it was released. It’s a real labor of love, and I’ve been trying to document as much of it as I can to share the knowledge. Up til now it’s been shared on Bolter and Chainsword and on my own blog, TibbsForge.com only. Now that I’m getting much closer to the finish line, I think I’m ready to share it with your readers and maybe they can help motivate me to get it finished before the anniversary in the end of February. 

I’m tossing in some older WIP shots along with the newest ones. This is fairly oldish, but it shows her in her final pose. As you can see the legs have been significantly reposed, which included rebuilding her left hip, both knees, both ankles including the pistons, and two toes on her right foot. 



The base itself includes a destroyed Necron Annihilation Barge and the remnants of a burned-out village scene. 



Her (she’s called the Queen Bee, by the way) weapons are fully magnetized for accuracy, not just a front-plate switch. I have included a tutorial on my blog if you’re nitpicky enough to do this yourself. Both the arms have the correct ammo, of course, but I can also take out the fuel manifold at the back for a correctly hollow breach on the battle cannon configuration. 



There are tons of little details on this model, many of them only apparent under careful scrutiny. This emergency repair kit and supply cache is hardly visible under the upper carapace and shoulder pauldron. It Includes grenades and a side-arm for in-battle repair jobs. 


My challenge with this project was to think about a truly ancient war-machine, possibly predating the Imperium, would look after many thousands of years of battle. I went all out with weathering and damage, including oil paints, weathering pigments, and even floor polish mixed with ink to represent grease around the joints. It was my first time using any of these techniques and it’s been a blast. 



I’m particularly proud of the personality this model evokes, including her cracked eye lens. She truly is a venerable and ancient war machine. 



I was able to simulate the appearance of peeling layers of paint (think of old military vehicles or farm equipment that are repainted without stripping the previous flaking paint job) using a mask and Liquid Green Stuff to build up really interesting textures. This will be covered up with color, but the layers will still be subtly visible and further enhance the sense of age. 



Here’s where the armor plates stand now. In the early stages of weathering, but you can see the halved gold/yellow color scheme taking shape and the chips where the rust is showing through. 



I’m getting closer to being done, and my goal is to finish the project before the one-year anniversary in late February. I still have lots to do. Follow my Twitter feed @linguartisan for WIP updates in the moment, and also my hobby blog at TibbsForge.com for major updates and other projects/editorial hobby content. 

-Tibbs


 
What's on your table is an opportunity for readers to share what they are working on. Conversions, painting, batreps, even side home brew projects. If you want to Share "What's On Your Table". Please no more than 8 pics, send your project to natfka@live.com. If for any reason you do not want your name used, please say so.

6 comments :

  1. Really great work! Do you have a blog? I'd love to see this finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TibbsForge.com read above in description. needless to say he does do some fantastic stuff.

      Delete
    2. Renegade beat me to it. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. "Oi mate! We're tryin' to regenerate down 'ere! Move yer boot!"

    Nice rust effects on the metallics, there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think she's got her foot on it? "Gotta squash them into the ground til they stop wriggling." She probably has that written on a post-it in her cockpit.

      And thanks! It was a ton of fun to play with oils and pigments, as well as layered finishes.

      Delete
  3. "Oi mate! We're tryin' to regenerate down 'ere! Move yer boot!"

    Nice rust effects on the metallics, there.

    ReplyDelete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...